Friday, November 28, 2008

The Pumpkin Post: Pumpkin Soup by JRo & Pumpkin Crunch

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving, Internet. I did!

I feel a little guilty that I'm not including my Dad's pumpkin pie in this post, but I really don't think the recipe is anything too special. It's just made with Dad love. So follow the recipe on the back of the Libby's can and then add a lot of love. There, done, recipe in the box.

I like pumpkin because it's such a good flavor that recipes that include it are very simple. Here are a couple of favorites.


JRo's Pumpkin Soup

Jerome is one of the coolest, sweetest, sexiest people you could possibly encounter in your life. And he makes a delicious pumpkin soup. He taught my sister Haley, my friend Brian and my beau Natey and me how to make it. It's super simple.

Take one small to medium yellow onion and chop it up. Do NOT cut your finger off like Jerome's about to do.



Sauté it in some butter 'til translucent, then add two containers of vegetable broth. Jerome swears by veggie broth instead of chicken for this broth.



Then add one 30oz can of pumpkin. I prefer Libby's. Make sure that's straight up pumpkin and not spiced pumpkin. You don't want this soup to taste like pie.


Let it cook for a while. Just before serving, add about a cup of heavy cream.


You can leave it as pure as you want, but we experimented a little with seasoning. We put some vindaloo and chili powder in it. Nate also put in exactly five coffee beans.

We enjoyed this fall treat right out of coffee cups. Brian put whiskey in his.






Pumpkin Crunch

I got this recipe from a co-worker who brought it in for everybody.

You put 30oz of Libby's pumpkin (again, unseasoned, though you could do it seasoned and leave out the), ~1 tblsp of cinnamon, 4 eggs and 1 1/2 cups of sugar in a bowl and mix it up. You add one 12oz can of evaporated milk, but the two times I've made it since, it's been too moist. I'd like for this to be "bars," so next time I make it, I'll use much less evaporated milk, maybe half.
Grease and flour a 9x13 (or Pam Baking Spray it), and spread it around.



Then you mix one box of yellow cake mix with 1/2 cup to 1 cup of chopped pecans and a stick of (melted) butter. This is the "crunch" part that you sprinkle evenly across the top of the pumpkin part.





Bake it at 350 for about an hour. Easy and delicious!


2 comments:

Anne Chamberlain said...

Hey all of you! I made a pumpkin thing with real baked pumpkin. I cut it into fourths because it was so big. Some of the edges caramelized which added some flavor. I scooped it out with a spoon and thundersticked it. I used 3 1/2 cups of pumpkin. I also used 6 eggs, 1 cup of sugar, and one cup of milk. The spices were 2 T of cinnamon and 1 t of freshly grated nutmeg. The extra eggs made it really fluffy and almost pudding-like. I would take a photo but it is all gone now.

Erin, Alex, and Felix said...

Yum, vanilla cake mix. I am surprised how simple these pumpkin recipes are. i didn't even know you could get pumpkin in a can. all this time ive been avoiding pumpkin recipes because i thought people were shoving hunks of pumpkin into food processors.